Inching forward

The windows have arrived!  When the bid came in, I asked sheepishly if installation was included in the price.  Thankfully the answer was “YES”, as the install has been quite complicated.  There’s not a right angle or a plumb or level surface anywhere in the house.  All but 5 windows are in, but some of those installed still require some tweaking.

img_4490

Not a bad view here. . .

img_4500

I’m using the same material as the windows for the doors to terraces on the main level. Here you can see the exterior of the terrace door for “Alzina” (fka the Prince of Wales suite).

img_4502

While we are out here, please take a moment to vote on your favorite tile sample:

img_4501

Elsewhere in the house, the wall between the master suite and the living room (below) and the attic (above) is fully framed out.  Clear glass will go in the void, with a curtain or escreen (screen) for privacy.

img_4495

In the back bedroom (main level), a half flight of stairs takes you up to the Highest Bathroom in the Land.  (Or at least in the house.)  Skylight and ventilation to come in 2017. . . .

img_4498

It’s a mad race to finish the windows, the terrace waterproofing and the in-wall systems (electrics, water, heating, A/V) before we can give a thumb’s up to the plasterers.  Here’s hoping for a white Christmas. . .

Advertisements

Back to work

After a quiet August and a slow start in September, the builders arrived en masse to tackle the upstairs walls.  A gang of 11 was working for the better part of 2 weeks to jackhammer all the old mortar and prepare the walls for plaster.

Below, the site of the future kitchen.  You can see that the walls are newly mortared, and that the back and right walls have been squared for cabinet installation.  Kitchen design is currently underway.

img_4392

In mid-September we had a very exciting new arrival: the iron staircase from the ground floor to the first floor.  The fiberboard treads you see in the photo are provisional, for the work phase.  The final treads will be 6cm thick solid oak.

img_4391

Shortly after the stairs, Smitty installed the iron support beams for the upstairs hallway.  The boards here are also provisional.  Final installation will be 2 cm oak floor planks, matching the flooring throughout the first floor.  You can see that the wall behind the staircase was plastered prior to staircase installation.  The other walls on the ground floor have been rejuntat.

The brick vaults throughout the house have been sand-blasted to remove plaster and mortar.

img_4403img_4401

The chimney for the living room wood stove is in progress:

img_4393

We decided on a half-wall separating the living room from the master bedroom.  Radiators will live on either side of the wall.  Above the wall, all the way to the roof, we will install fixed glass, with a curtain or a screen that can be drawn across for privacy.  The idea is to preserve the westward views from the main living space.

img_4395

The bedroom doors are original doors from somewhere inside Mas Oms.  They have been stripped and patched by Xevi the door guy, who diagnosed them as late 18th century.  They are similar to the new/old entry door shown in my last post, though less detailed and without porticones.

img_4396

To align the doorway, half wall, and attic slab, we had to add a trapezoid-shaped chunk to the attic floor.  Two C-beams (welded together at a right angle) are supported by three brick columns, two of which support the frame for the bedroom door.  Large format bricks span the gap between the new C-beams and the pee-existing I-beam.  Above the bricks, freshly poured concrete.

img_4397

The boiler room in its current state:

img_4404

As you have seen in this post’s photos, all the stone walls have been rejuntat or esquerdejat, the latter of which are almost ready for plaster.  We still have two precursors to plastering: (1) excavation of channels for wiring and electrical boxes, which is currently underway; and (2) window installation, which is likely to begin in the next week or so.

More soon!